The shift will be 8:00 am to 5:00 p.m during the school year and 6:30 am to 3:00 p.m. during the summer.
Purpose of Class
Performs routine custodial work in school facilities; performs related work as required.
Primary Function The principal function of an employee in this class is to perform routine custodial general maintenance, cleaning, and grounds keeping tasks in school buildings and grounds to maintain a clean, sanitary, and safe environment. Additionally, an employee in this class may be assigned to other minor maintenance duties in district facilities. The position is supervised by the Custodial Foreman. The principal duties of this class are performed in a public school environment and include use of electrically powered cleaning equipment and cleaning substances that may involve related hazards and outdoor work in inclement weather conditions. Basic computer skills are important. Experience with minor building maintenance is a plus.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (will vary by assignment)
* Performs routine custodial services, vacuums, sweeps and mops floors, including restrooms, classrooms, hallways, office, gymnasiums, multi-purpose rooms, cafeteria etc. * Strips and waxes floors, scrubs and shampoos carpets on regular maintenance schedule; * Cleans and sanitizes restrooms, including toilets, sinks, wall and floors. * Dusts and wipes off surfaces, including chalkboards and whiteboards; * Cleans and sanitizes cafeteria and kitchen areas, including tables, chairs, and food service surfaces; * Maintains supply levels in restrooms, including toilet paper, paper towels, and soap; * Washes walls, windows drinking fountains, furniture and surface areas; * Empties and cleans trash containers, including transporting bagged waste to outside trash receptacles; * Inventories supplies, ensuring proper products are readily available; * Works cooperatively with a variety of organizations utilizing the facilities; * Performs snow removal duties, including sanding and salting walkways; * Perform all work duties and activities in accordance with District policies, procedures, and safety practices.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
* Performs minor maintenance when required; * Assists staff with moving furniture and equipment; * Performs other related duties as required.
Competency Requirements: Knowledge of:
* Methods, materials, tools and standard practices of cleaning and maintaining public buildings; * Preparation, use and disposal of chemical cleaning agents. * Appropriate use of cleaning agent for a variety surface types; * Safety procedures when cleaning and moving furniture and equipment; * Methods, materials, tools, and standard practices of grounds and yard maintenance;
* Follow written and oral instructions and observe department policies and procedures; * Communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing; * Operate, maintain and perform minor repairs to powered custodial equipment including, but not limited to vacuums, auto scrubbers, strippers, waxers, buffers, extractors, pressure washers and snow blowers; * Operate hand cleaning equipment including but not limited to, brooms, dust and wet mops, dust pans, and dusters; * Operate, maintain, and perform minor repairs to snow removal equipment; * Operate hand and power tools; * Establish priorities and work within time constraints and deadlines; * Operate a personal computer and use program applications appropriate to assigned duties; * Communicate effectively and establish working relationships with maintenance and operation employees, other employees, administrators, and the public; * Perform multiple tasks simultaneously, including handling interruptions, and return to and complete tasks in a timely manner; * Work independently, with minimal supervision, and make appropriate decisions in the absence of a supervisor.
Acceptable Experience and Training
* High school diploma or GED equivalency is preferred; and * Some custodial experience preferred; or * Any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the knowledge and abilities necessary to perform the work.
Essential Physical Abilities
* Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing or other communication capabilities, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to understand verbal instructions and to communicate effectively on the telephone and in person; hear and understand speech at normal room levels, and discern safety warning sounds; * Sufficient visual acuity, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to comprehend written work instructions; view cleaning area, retrieve and use proper cleaning agents, operate cleaning tools and equipment safely, and see details at close range (within a few feet of the observer); * Sufficient manual dexterity, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to operate cleaning tools and grounds keeping devices including power equipment and hand equipment and make adjustments. * Sufficient strength to lift and carry objects up to 50 pounds, maneuver power cleaning equipment such as vacuums and scrubbers, stand for up to four hours, and move between work stations and job tasks on a single shift; * Sufficient personal flexibility and balance to perform cleaning and maintenance operations which require repeated bending and stooping motions, including climbing and working on ladders; * Sufficient personal mobility, flexibility, stamina, and balance, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to work in areas with only artificial light, to work within a tightly enclosed area such as closets and small offices, to work while exposed to unpleasant odors and with allergenic substances such as cleaning solutions and dust, and to work in a custodial environment. * Jobs in this class require performing repetitive hand movement in gripping, fingering and hand/wrist/arm movements; standing, moving and walking eight or more hours at a time. Occasionally related job tasks may require, with or without reasonable accommodation, lifting, stooping, squatting, kneeling, bending, crouching, pushing, grasping, reaching, and using a ladder.
HOURS PER DAY: Eight
DAYS: Twelve month employment
POSTING DATE: May 9, 2019
CLOSING DATE: For best consideration, please apply by May 16, 2019. However, position will be open until filled.
SALARY SCHEDULE: $9.06 per hour
START DATE: As soon as possible.
APPLICATION PROCESS: For transfers, please apply on-line through internal application on AppliTracks. For all others, please apply with the external application.
Associated topics: animal care, custodial, custodian, custody, house cleaner, housekeeping, janitor, sanitation, sanitize, wash
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.